What is QS Stars?
QS Stars is a complementary companion to rankings—a rating system that facilitates the evaluation of universities across a much broader range of criteria and with respect to established thresholds rather than the performance of others. The objectives are to allow institutions to shine, irrespective of their size, shape and mission and to shine a light on excellence that may otherwise remain in the shade.
Institutions would need to meet criteria requirements in order to earn the maximum number of points; they are then awarded with their star status -from one to five- depending on the number of points achieved through the evaluation.
Over 30 criteria contribute towards the overall assessment grouped into eight categories: research, employability, teaching, infrastructure, internationalisation, innovation, engagement and the institution’s standing in specialist subjects.
In addition to the QS Stars badge, which they can use for their own promotional purposes, institutions also receive an evaluation report once the audit has taken place; this is called “The Development Roadmap”. It highlights a university’s key strengths in the evaluation and areas for improvement. QS Stars gives institutions the opportunity to spotlight their strengths, efforts and specialist areas.
Advantages to Institution
- Shines a light on the university’s excellence.
- Improves international recognition and allows the university to reach out to more students.
- Increased web presence
- The QS Stars badge will appear on the institutions profile pages on topuniversities.com which receives over 14 million visits a year.
- Increased media awareness
- Selected participating institutions can take part in the numerous QS Stars PR campaigns
- May be used as an auditing tool to help improve institution’s performance.
- Gives those institutions that are not highly ranked or do not appear in the rankings an opportunity to reach out to their prospect students, to stand out and to be recognised for their excellence.
Announcing the launch of QS Five Stars +
We are pleased to announce the launch of the QS Five Star + award. Requiring a minimum of 900 points and a five-star performance in all evaluated categories, the Five Stars + badge is designed to identify elite institutions that are strong in all aspects. With recent refinements to the methodology, Five Stars + can apply equally to the world’s foremost comprehensive and specialist institutions.